Captivating Portraits. Breathtaking Details.
Elevated by advancements of the revolutionary Z mount, the NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S is a premium S-Line lens that blends optical ingenuity and artistic nuance. Flattering perspective. Breathtaking resolution. Stunning bokeh. Unwavering focus and lifelike accuracy compensation. This is an 85mm prime lens that will thrill and inspire those who shoot portraits, headshots, fashion, weddings, tight video shots, street photography or any situation that highlights the human form.
NIKKOR quality at its absolute best. At the top of the ever-expanding NIKKOR Z lens lineup, S-Line lenses push Nikon’s tradition of optical excellence and innovation to unprecedented new heights. Superior performance and resolution. Sophisticated features and operability. Specialized technologies and reliability enhancements. All while taking full advantage of the monumental Nikon Z mount and adhering to the strictest image quality and build standards.
Pure Natural Beauty
Few subjects showcase the strengths and shortcomings of a lens more clearly than the human face. Our eyes are so adept at detecting focus issues, facial shape distortion, unnatural skin tone—nearly any imperfection. The NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S captures the human form in breathtaking clarity and sharpness.
Flattering Perspective – The shape of a face is greatly affected by focal length. The NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S’s 85mm perspective is within the sweet spot for portraits and fashion, rendering faces naturally and beautifully, free of distortion.
Eye-Detection AF – Z series’ outstanding Eye-AF and the NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S’s extreme sharpness ensure your portraits and headshots will have tack-sharp focus right where you want it—on the eyes of your subject.
Extreme Sharpness – The extreme sharpness and resolution of the NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S makes it particularly well suited for capturing the subtlety and nuances of facial expressions and the emotions they convey.
Beautifully blurred backgrounds naturally, and sometimes dramatically, direct your viewer’s eyes to the main subject. The nine rounded aperture blades of the NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S give defocused points of light a soft, round consistent shape. Plus, the transition from tack-sharp foreground to dreamy background is smooth and natural.
Great for Documentaries, Interviews and More
The artistic qualities, natural perspective, quiet autofocus and smooth aperture control of the NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S make it outstanding for video work in documentaries, interviews, B-roll footage and anywhere you want to isolate your subject from the background. Use the customizable control ring to create smooth iris transitions, or let Auto Aperture Control adjust the iris during exposure changes.
Superior Optical Performance
Lifelike Accuracy – 2 Extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements correct chromatic aberrations (optical color defects). Nano Crystal Coat (N) virtually eliminates flare, ghosting and coma. Optical advancements of the Z mount and S-Line render point-light sources sharper than ever without the usual diamond-shaped distortion—perfect for nightscapes, starscapes and more.
Edge-to-Edge Brightness – One of the many advantages of the larger Z mount is its ability to retain even illumination, especially at the corners of the frame. This results in bright, even exposures with minimal vignetting.
Multi-Focus System – Finely detailed high resolution photography can sometimes be susceptible to lens aberrations, such as color fringing, especially at close ranges. The NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S incorporates an all-new multi-focusing system, consisting of two AF drive units precisely synchronized to deliver fast, accurate autofocusing and drastically reduce aberrations.
Enhanced Build and Reliability
Customizable Control Ring – In addition to a dedicated manual focus ring, the control ring can be used for quiet aperture control (great for iris transitions during video recording or situations where complete silence is critical) or exposure compensation
9-Blade Rounded Diaphragm – Produces stunning bokeh and stops down smoothly and evenly for consistent exposures at any frame rate.
Unwavering Autofocus – Powered by an ultra-quiet stepping motor and enhanced by the additional light gathered by the Z Mount, focusing is fast, silent and accurate. Great for stills; even better for video.
Dust and Drip Resistant – Extensively sealed to keep dust and moisture out, especially around all moving parts of the lens barrel, for worry-free durability.
Dual Detect 5 Axis VR – Uses the Z cameras’ superior in-camera image stabilization system for up to 5 stops* of pitch, roll, yaw, X and Y shake correction. Additional electronic VR (e-VR available) during video capture. *Based on CIPA Standard
Next-Generation Z Design and Optics
Designed and optimized to take full advantage of the Z system’s larger mount, Z lenses gather substantially more light, providing even illumination and improved sharpness from the center of the frame to the far edges. Autofocusing is fast and quiet. Video recording is clean and smooth with highly minimized focus breathing and reduced wobbling. Intuitive on-lens controls can be customized to your individual shooting style and so much more. Z lenses are designed with a sense of consistency that combines reliability and beauty with next-dimension optical performance for complete freedom in image creation.
- STM – Stepping Motor – NIKKOR Z lenses use a stepping motor for fast, accurate, smooth, quiet autofocus with reduced wobbling. This quiet drive system makes the lenses ideal for use when shooting video.
- E – Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel provides highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting. With conventional D/G type lenses, the diaphragm blades are operated by mechanical linkage levers.
- ED – (Extra-Low Dispersion) Glass – An optical glass developed by Nikon that is used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- IF Lens – A NIKKOR lens in which only the internal lens group shifts during focusing. Thus, IF NIKKORS do not change in size during AF operation, allowing for compact, lightweight lenses capable of closer focusing distances. These lenses will be designated with the abbreviation IF on the lens barrel.
- N – Nano Crystal Coat – An anti-reflective coating developed by Nikon that virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. Nano Crystal Coat solves ghost effects caused by red light and effectively reduces ghost and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- SIC – Super Integrated Coating – Nikon Super Integrated Coating is Nikon’s term for its multilayer coating of the optical elements in NIKKOR lenses.